Friday, August 13, 2010

Cuban Black beans (aka Angel falls Black beans)

Kerepakupai merú  (aka Angel Falls) 




Okay I admit .... I eat hot..... and its okay that you don't (or do)  .....again..... all recipes can be adapted to ones taste buds... so call it cautionary tales of a ...I like ...and you might like a little bit different.... post. 
Cuban Black Beans:

  • as many cups of black beans as you want 
  • spices

As I had posted before.. Soak the black beans the night before. Rinse well.... bring to boil, Skim off the stuff cover... and turn to simmer. Once they have reached the done stage ... now its time to add flavor.... as your taste buds like... 

Now my black beans have legitimately earned the name of  Angel falls Black beans... Due to the amount of cayenne that gets dumped into them,  (as well as all the other spices) the more flavor the better :)
..... like I said..... we like it Hot.....
I add
spices n such
  • Fresh onions
  • Fresh garlic
  • Fresh jalapeños 
  • Fresh (well frozen) Thai Pepper
  • Fresh or dried Epazote ( just less then 2 TBS)
  • Fresh Cilantro 
  • Garlic powder
  • Pepper
  • Salt
  • Cayenne
  • Crushed Pepper flakes
  • Cumin
  • Emeril's seasoning  
  • Red Wine (about a cup)
  • Vinegar (usually red wine vinegar) (just shy of  1/2 cup)


Before adding all the fresh and spices ..... I dump off excess liquid until its at the beans height after that I add the wine, vinegar  and water if need be. Don't forget that your fresh ingredients will add a water content back into the beans. After having added all the spices I simmer with the cover on for about a half hour ( or till the onions are clear)... and then I take the cover off and let it boil itself down a bit.

Presenting : Double, double toil and trouble
Kerepakupai merú  done Cuban black beans style ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment