Thursday, September 16, 2010

Phyllo Dough

Phyllo


No need to ever buy phyllo dough again. (You're welcome) I have had this recipe for years and no idea where I got it from. This recipe has two ways to make it one is it sits overnight and the other is it needs to rest about one hour. I'll be honest I prefer the one that sits overnight because it rolls thinner and it has a better developed taste but I will tell you this much both are worth it. I actually made the quick Phyllo Dough tonight and thats what the pictures will show. When I make the other one I will take photo's so you can see the minute differences. Unless you own a handy dandy Pasta Machine the only option you have is to make the "instant" Phyllo. I have a 4 foot dowel that sits in my kitchen that I use to hand roll the dough.

Overnight Phyllo (pasta machine)


Golf ball sized 
  • 8 cups bread flour 
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1-2 cups hot water*
  • flour for rolling

"1 hour" Phyllo: (hand rolled or pasta machine)

Notice you can see my skin?
  • 6 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1-2 cups water
  • flour for rolling
Use the hottest tap water that you can. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix for 20 minutes. Until the dough has a soft feel. Adding additional water if you need to. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge till the next day. Unused Phyllo can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days.

For the Hour Phyllo it will much more pliable. Mix and wrap and let sit for a hour. Now for the dough that you don't use... it's going to become harder to work with the longer that you have it in the fridge until it is almost too hard to use.And what I mean is that it will rip and tear and you won't be able to do anything but hand roll it so keep that in mind. I always try and use up the hand rolled dough as quick as I can. 

 Tear or cut off from the dough a piece about the size of a golf ball. Run it through your pasta roller all the way to level 9. 


Starting to hand roll it
Rolled out and wrapping it up to flip it
Ready to be rolled up and layed out to be cut


Or if you are hand rolling it get a 4 foot dowel and hand roll it out. As you roll it use the dowel to pick it back up and off the table to lay it down and unroll it on its other side. Hand rolled phyllo will be about the thickness of 2 sheets of copy paper.






Fully rolled up to be layed down on a big cutting board to be cut to size



Rolled to "9" in the pasta machine





Getting ready to cut to size


Spank! (aka spanakopita) We call it Spank! 


No comments:

Post a Comment